Thursday, December 08, 2016

The tradeoff between providing useful feedback and timely feedback.

Maybe lessons I keep learning are lessons I haven't really learned...




As the semester winds down, I've been marking group proposals. Actually, I've just been providing comments on them. In the hope that students will improve upon them. The proper marking is next week. When I will see if students incorporated my feedback. Or not.

However, I also know that I can give too much feedback. And that feedback delivered too slowly means that students have less time to incorporate it or respond to it.

So why do I keep promising feedback that then takes too long to give?

Clearly I am not learning from my mistakes. This bodes poorly for my own metacognitive skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep postings clean and productive. Be specific. Remember, helpful feedback includes concrete suggestions on how to improve.